Sunday, June 14, 2015

2014-11-09

From Carolyn's Letters Home

Sunday, November 9, 2014
Dearest Children, Grandchildren and Family,
How I love and miss you all!  It is always fun to follow your YouTube posts and emails.  I still can hardly believe that we have almost instant communication across the world!  I guess, coming from a past with no computers, cell phones, microwaves or even calculators, that I have seen a lot of changes in my lifetime. 
I often wonder what your lives will bring.  We have been talking about “What it means to be Human” in my classes.  So far, the only two things that everyone seems to be able to agree upon are that humans cook their food and that they wear clothes because they feel the need to wear clothes to cover themselves.  Will your futures include human-like robots who talk to you?  I don’t know, but it has been an interesting discussion with students who are much smarter than their teacher.  The only thing that I can claim is that I am a better English speaker, in most cases, than they are…which I guess qualifies me for the job? J  They say that the teacher learns more than the student.  This is definitely true in my case.  I love my students and am grateful to be in China.
This past Monday evening, Richard and I had 2 medical students from South Africa to our home for dinner.  Lulu is from a village outside of Cape Town and Katia is from Cape Verde.  They are both beautiful and smart.  Lulu is the only member of the church on our campus, besides us.  She is a junior.  It is difficult for her and I am grateful for her desire to stay strong and one day return to her home as a physician to her people.  Katia is my English student and is an amazing young woman.  We hope they will come to visit us and feel at home in our apartment.
On Tuesday, our Jinan group met at Pizza Hut and had a delicious American meal.  Afterwards, some of them came to our apartment.  Most of them had to go home because of early classes, but Bryan and Omar, two returned missionaries from BYU Idaho who are teaching at a Woman’s University not far from our campus, stayed and the 4 of us played Farkle.  Thanks to Mark and Linda and Melody for showing us how to play.  Of course, the boys had played it before, so we had a great evening.  The carmel corn from the street vendor down the lane was also delicious.
It has been cold this week in Jinan, so we have had to wear our warm clothing.  The heat in our apartment should be turned on November 15th.  We are fortunate that we have several space heaters.  We loaned 2 of them to the boys because they were freezing in their apartment.  It feels good to be able to help.
Friday night our new friend, Liz Bowler from St. George, Utah came to spend 2 nights with us.  We met her on the Silk Road trip in October.  She teaches 1st grade in Teda, a city close to Tianjin.  Amazingly, she spent the past three years teaching 3rd grade at Valley Academy in Hurricane, Utah!  What a small world.  Liz spent an hour on a subway, then two hours on a bullet train and arrived at 9:30 pm.  While we were waiting for her, we met a wonderful young man at the train station.  He is an Engineering Student at another university in Jinan and his English was very good.  His home is 40 minutes west of Shanghai where he grew up on a farm.  Just before Liz arrived, he told me that he didn’t have an English name and was wondering if I could recommend one to him.  I told him that I had a son named Michael and he loved the name.  So, Mike, you have a wonderful young Chinese student who is named after you!  We exchanged cell phone numbers and will be keeping in touch. 
We so enjoyed our visit with Liz.  The boys met us at 10 am and we all went to Baotu Springs where Richard gave us all a great tour.  The springs are ancient and constantly bubbling. The 3 temples are more modern, but the design and statues are exact replicas taken from ancient Chinese scrolls.  I think that I have written about these before.  I will try to send pictures.  I had some on my smart phone from the US, but sadly, I lost my phone.
After touring the park, we took an hour long boat ride that connects four springs and a beautiful lake called Daming Lake.  China is beautiful!  I am excited to see as much as we can this year.
For late lunch, we ate an American hamburger at a new “American” restaurant, then came back to our apartment and watched the movie “2012”.  It was a memorable day with these young teachers.
Church is always a highlight of our week.  How grateful we are to know that no matter where we are in the world, we will have “family”. 
Our Relief Society newsletter came out yesterday and I found out that one of the counselors in our branch is Brother Knox, Inger Durkin’s dad.  Her mom Peggy wrote an article about her grandson Gabe.  I have taught Gabe and his brother Christian and his sister Alana Murdock.  I knew their grandparents were here, but I didn’t realize that they were in our Virtual Branch.  All roads must lead to Hurricane!  J
Hope all of you are having a happy life and enjoying your families.  Life is short and the time with the little ones goes so quickly.  We are very proud of all of you and grateful to be part of such an amazing family.
Love,

Mom, Grandma, Carolyn, Grandma Carolyn and Richard, Grandpa, Dad, Grandpa Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment