Sunday, June 14, 2015

2014-12-02

From Carolyn's Letters Home


December 1, 2014
Dearest Children, Grandchildren, and Family,
Sorry I didn’t get my weekly letter written last night.  I had a rough weekend and was in bed from eating some “bad” almonds from the local market.  It also rained for 3 days and my body was having a battle with my arthritis.  So glad that the sun was shining and the sky was blue today.  The temperature, however did a dive and there is ice on the walkways.   I am, however, feeling much better and am grateful for my good health.
So happy that you all had good Thanksgivings.  We loved getting the updates from Celise and family at the beach house and are glad that they are creating happy memories there.  We are excited to go back next summer.
Our tickets are purchased and we will be in Las Vegas in February.  We have now been in Jinan for over 3 months.  I think that part of my blood is now Chinese.  I do love my students and the kind people we have met here in China.
Last Monday night we had 5 young people to our home for Family Home Evening.  We played “Farkle,” ate popcorn and had a great time.  We have prepared the hot chocolate and cookies for tonight, but really won’t be surprised if they don’t come.  It is all walking and riding buses in the freezing cold.  I am grateful for the heat we now have in our apartment and for the space heaters that heat the rooms that don’t have heat.  Welcome Winter!
My dear friend, Dr. Trisha came to visit me again today.  She is a medical doctor at a hospital not far from here.  She came on her scooter…in the cold.  We had a wonderful visit.  I am grateful to have her and Dr. Adam Yang, our two dear friends who watch over us.  Adam invited us to his home for dinner yesterday, but we had to cancel because of my illness.  He wants to take us with his family to the South Mountains of Jinan in the spring.  He promised to teach me to fish.  I am really looking forward to that.
This week we talked about Thanksgiving and of course, I told them about my family…all of our children and grandchildren.  They loved your photos and I was a very proud mom and grandma. J
This week we will be working on our poem “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost.  All of my student have to recite it for memory, with good diction and with feeling.  I love that poem.  It is my favorite poem because it has guided my life since I was in high school and sang it with the Dreher High School Choir in Columbia, S.C.  Richard is already talking about Christmas with his students. 
We hope that this holiday season will bring you great happiness and joy.   May we all remember the true meaning of Christmas. 
We love you more than we can say.  Wish we could be home for the holidays, but next year we will be. 

Love,
Mom, Carolyn, Grandma, Richard, Dad, Grandpa



No comments:

Post a Comment