Sunday, June 14, 2015

2015-03-08

From Carolyn"s Letters Home:


Sunday, March 8, 2015
Hello from Jinan, China to our dear family and friends!  We love you and miss you and hope that life is going well for all of you. 
After almost a week of adjusting, Richard and I are finally getting used to the change in time from the USA.  Hope you are all surviving your lost hour of sleep with Daylight Savings.  J
Thankfully, my load has been reduced and I am only teaching 6 classes, two each day on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  Unfortunately, 2 of my freshman classes were given to Richard and he has 8 classes.  It is a good thing that he is very flexible and cheerful.  His classes are all from 8-12 on Monday-Thursday.  We both have Fridays off.  Also, Richard is almost finished preparing our 2014 tax forms as well as finalizing the inspections and repairs on the new home in Las Vegas.  He still has some hair, but it is a bit whiter than before.
Life is a great teacher and often, if we chose, we can learn a lot from our mistakes.  I am grateful to my students for surviving a new teacher last fall, who had never taught college students or Oral English before coming to China.  We talked together about the adjustments they had to make leaving home and I told them about adjustments that I had to make coming here.  Fortunately, they are kind and very forgiving.  It was a wonderful first week and I am grateful for this life changing experience.
Before our travels, I received an email from Dr. Wang, a CT doctor at Quilu Hospital.  She asked me to tutor her 12 year old son and was also anxious to show us the beautiful spots of Jinan.  On Friday, I went with her, her mother, her son and her niece to Baotu Springs Park, near our home.  It was a little cold, but the company was wonderful and the springs and park were beautifully decorated for Lantern Festival.  Her son is an exceptional artist and was excited to show me the art exhibits at the park.  Their English is very good, so I will just be helping Ky Tee improve his skills.  I feel blessed to have such kind Chinese friends.
My freshman students (2 classes) who have transferred to Richard said that they really like him and that he is very funny.  I’m so glad.   I tend to get too focused in class and forget to have fun. 
Last night, we went to a violin/piano concert at Shandong Grand Theatre.   I loved hearing them perform the sonatas by Mozart and Brahms and to my great surprise, they performed the Sonata in A Major by Caesar Franck.  I actually performed this one as part of my graduate recital at Wichita State University in April, 1975.  It was magical and reminded me that once, like Camelot, there was a young girl who also performed that sonata…so long ago.  Jinan is a city of 7 million people and has many parks, museums and performances.  Even the BYU Young Ambassadors came here 2 years ago. 
Lulu made it safely back from S. Africa.  It was so good to see her.  She spent much of her time at home volunteering at the hospital Trauma Center.  We are very proud of her and look forward to beginning our “Singles” Family Home Evenings next week with the girls.  We will miss Bryan and Omar!
As this new semester begins, we have become more aware of Heavenly Father’s love for us and His desire that we let our light so shine.  So, as Richard says “be good, work hard and have fun.” J
Thanks so much for you love and prayers.   We love you.

Mom, Carolyn, Grandma, Richard, Dad, Grandpa


No comments:

Post a Comment